Monday, May 7, 2012

Almost An Obsession

Another collage over the weekend (actually I did 2). This one is a little bit different in that I included a couple of different elements. I carved a lino pattern last week and experiment with printing it. The central flower near the bottom is one of those prints. And there's a real leaf that I saved from last fall that is collaged into the right corner. It's a little bumpy, but that only adds texture to the overall piece. The large pink flower on the right is a paper napkin. Can you see that there's just no limit to what you can use in a collage?

I'm wondering if this is turning into an obsession, since there's a third collage assembled but not glued down...yet. This medium is too much fun! It's so easy to do, and because it doesn't really take that long (and it's easier on my hand than more detail-oriented drawing and shading, which can be intensive), it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I'm finished. And when you combine those two elements - having fun with a sense of accomplishment - I end up with an activity that I could easily get addicted to. My friend who is an addiction counselor would say that's a pretty healthy addiction! Also, I'm going into overdrive with my art work right now because I was recently laid off from my job. Having all this time on my hands gives me free license to produce as much art as my little heart desires! I've noticed, however, that when my anxiety increases, so does my art output. It's also therapeutic for me. The bottom line is that art is incredibly fun, enjoyable and satisfying. Moreover, If I can pass that wellness feeling on to someone else, and they benefit from it, then I will feel like I have accomplished something really worthwhile!

Best wishes & blessings,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment